The Arts Society Richmond
-Double Dutch: The Secret Language of Dutch Still Life Painting
- OLD EVENT
Speaker: Lynne Gibson
Banquets and breakfasts celebrate an abundance of foodstuffs. Could the curl of lemon peel, platter of oysters, kraakware bowl of blemished fruit or spiced meat pie warn of the dangers of gluttony and pleasures of the flesh? Vanitas paintings display treasured possessions. If we look closely, however, the pocket-watch, the fading bloom and, more explicitly, the human skull might hint that consciences are troubled by such ostentation.
- Our lectures are held at Duke Street Church, Duke Street, Richmond TW9 1DH.
- We meet on the first Tuesday of every month except January for drinks at 7 pm and a one-hour lecture at 8 pm.
- Guests and new members are especially welcome to join us there.
- Members: Free
- Guests: £5 per person payable at the door.
- NADFAS members: £4 payable at the door.
- Students: Free, upon production of your student card.