Pope's Grotto Preservation Trust invites you to an evening of music commemorating the poet Alexander Pope (1688-1744) in the Church of St Mary the Virgin, Twickenham, where Pope's final resting place is marked by a plain stone in the aisle . This will be the first of our celebrations to mark the tercentenary of Pope's arrival in Twickenham.
The Petersham Consort will perform several pieces by his friends and contemporaries including Handel, Bononcini, and Purcell.
The choir of Radnor House School, within whose grounds the grotto is to be found, will perform a short programme of music from the same period which will also include a contemporary setting of Pope's poem "Sound and Sense". There will be short introductions by Judith Hawley, professor of `18th century literature at Royal Holloway, University of London, and the Reverend Jeff Hopkin Williams, vicar of St Mary's.
- Doors will open at 6.30 p.m. when drinks will be available.
- Tickets cost £10.00 each (children under 12 free).
- You can purchase tickets online
- There will be a chance to buy books about Pope's time in Twickenham after the concert.
- All profits from this event will go towards the restoration of Pope's Grotto so that it can be enjoyed by future generations.
Pope's Grotto Preservation Trust