Local Information :: sports

Twickenham Rugby Grounds

Twickenham_Rugby_Grounds

The "Home of Rugby", Twickenham is the national stadium for the Rugby Football Union and a dominate fixture in the Twickenham, Richmond and St Margarets area, specially on game days when the transport links, pubs and roads are filled with fans.

Getting tickets for games is extremely difficult as most tickets go for RFU members or corporate hospitality. However, you can try to get them through Ticketmaster on 0870 9020000 usually three/four months prior to the match.

History [1]

Billy Williams Cabbage Patch

The Rugby Football Union had been playing international matches at various venues, notably the Oval and Crystal Palace. In 1906 the Committee of the Union asked the Finance Sub-Committee to look into the feasibility of purchasing a plot of land upon which to build a stadium for the exclusive use of playing rugby. As a result in 1907 a parcel of land of 10 ¼ acres was purchased near the town of Twickenham, which is 12 miles from the centre of London. Instigated by William Williams and having formerly been a market garden, the pitch became known as Billy Williams' Cabbage Patch.

Early Days at Twickenham

Over the next two years the infrastructure was completed and the first match (between Harlequins and Richmond) took place in 1909. The first international between England and Wales was played in January 1910. Since then only a handful of home internationals have been played elsewhere.

The Magnificent Modern Stadium

When the stadium was opened it was designed to accommodate 20,000 people both seated and standing with space for 200 cars.

Now after extensive rebuilding the capacity is 75,000 all seated with car space for over 3,000 vehicles. There are escalators in each of the three new stands and in the East and West are a total of four bars each measuring over 47 metres in length. In the East there is the main shop (The Rugby Store) and the Museum of Rugby - a state of the art, multi-media museum housing the world's finest collection of rugby memorabilia. Tours of the stadium also operate from the Museum six days a week. In the West there are two more shops; the Spirit of Rugby Restaurant; the National Fitness Centre; Committee suites; six large changing rooms on the ground floor with an adjacent medical suite (which includes a fully equipped dental surgery and x-ray room).There are also four other large restaurants within the stadium. Overall, the total area of the stadium has increased from 10 acres in 1907 to 35 acres in 1997 and there are plans to expand the facilities in the near future.

1 from the RFU site.

sports
local
i
info