Christ's School has the distinction of being the only Church of England secondary school in Richmond upon Thames. Around 600 pupils, between the ages of 11 and 16, attend the school.
The school's origins date back to 1658 when John Bentley made a bid to found a free charity school. Bentley was a local business man and justice of the peace and he offered to build a school at his own expense.
The school however was not formally established until 25th May, 1713 when a number of well-intentioned citizens of Richmond, headed by Queen Anne, agreed to subscribe towards "The setting up of a Charity School in the Parish of Richmond, for teaching poor children to read, and instructing them in the knowledge and practice of Christian religion as professed and taught in the Church of England." Queen Anne's subscription was a princely £30.00.