Independent Baptist Church
Amyand Park Chapel goes back a fair way. The church was founded on 18 October 1889. The 42 members managed to get enough money together to buy 3 plots of land in Amyand Park Road and built a pretty basic corrugated iron structure. The church was lacking in any home comforts so those who came to the first service had to bring their own chairs, as well as umbrellas to protect against the rain which leaked through the roof!
There were mixed fortunes for the church over the next few years. Number went up and down and in the early 1890's one of the members suggested that they consider closing - thankfully that didn't happen. On the 21st February 1906 the church set out its Doctrinal Basis and that thoroughly evangelical statement of belief has survived virtually unaltered to this day.
Over the years there have been changes. A new building was opened in 1952 and attendance and membership are now higher than ever. One thing has stayed the same: we preach the good news of sins forgiven and new life through Jesus Christ. God willing that will never change.
174 Amyand Park Road
- Sunday Worship and Teaching Service 11am
- Evening Gospel Service 6:30pm
- Sunday Bible Club (4-11 yrs) 3pm