Winter can be tough and bring extra challenges but there are things you can do to help keep yourself well, including these helpful tips from Age UK Richmond.
Six steps to keep you well include:
- Get your free flu vaccine if you are aged 50 and over or a carer from your GP or local pharmacy. Make sure you check which other winter vaccines you are eligible for.
- If you have a health concern speak get it checked and speak to your GP. You can also call 111 or go to your local pharmacy. Putting things off can make things worse so if you have concerns, get it sorted.
- Ask for help if you need it. Winter can be hard, don’t be afraid to ask for help whether from a friend or family or from Age UK Richmond who are there to help.
- If you are struggling to keep your spirits up, you are not alone. Talking to friends and family about how you are coping can help. Age UK Richmond run a telephone befriending service to support those who might not be able to venture out as normal during the winter months. Contact the Wellbeing Services team on 020 8744 1965 to find out more.
- Try not to sit still for more than one hour at a time. Moving even a little bit can help you to keep strength and mobility. Eating and drinking enough is also important. If you are finding it difficult to prepare and eat three big meals, try smaller ones throughout the day.
- Make sure your home is warm by heating your home to a comfortable temperature throughout the day.
Age UK can provide you with advice and support to keep you well this winter.