The local Police Community officers want you to be aware of a string of thefts and attempted thefts of local young people in the area and crime prevention for your teenagers to be mindful.
One incident was on Wednesday 22nd May at 1830hours in Cole Park Road, a fourteen-year-old was approached by two youths on bikes at the top of Cole Park Road and they asked him to empty his pockets. They took his phone and airpods and cycle off. The suspects were approx. 17, one was white skinned and the other was African-Caribbean appearance. There have been two more similar incidents.
Always plan ahead:
- Prepare - consider your travel arrangements carefully and tell someone where you’re going and when you expect to return.
- Look assertive, walk with confidence and be aware of your surroundings.
- Avoid short cuts and dark isolated areas, vary your routine and keep valuables out of sight.
- Never take your safety for granted.
- Ensure you can hear anyone coming up behind you.
- Be alert when using ATMs and personal electronic devices.
Protect your gadgets
- Install a tracker application on your smartphone, which could help trace your phone if it’s stolen.
- Stay alert and aware of what’s going on around you when using your phone in public. The police are more likely to recover your property if you’ve marked it properly. Register your phone and other electrical gadgets at immobilise.com.
- Keep a record of the unique reference number (IMEI) on your mobile phone. To get this, dial <pre>*#06#</pre>.
- Always use your phone’s security lock or PIN number.
- Ensure your valuables are properly marked.
- Insure your possessions and keep the insurance details to hand.
– from the Police Community Officers - St Margarets & North Twickenham Ward