On a spring evening in the late 70’s after the Queen’s Jubilee, over a drink at the Turks Head pub, a group of friends had the idea of creating an event on the nearby Moormead recreation ground which would provide a grand party for the local community, and at the same time raise money for various charities.
The day was a huge success and so the St Margarets Fair became an annual event. More helpers were needed; the local schools became involved, more stallholders signed up, a Fair BBQ arrived and a five-a-side football tournament became a fixture.
The Fair is now a much loved and looked forward to event for the St Margarets community, with 1000’s of local residents attending every year. It’s a true community event with a small group of local volunteers making up the Fair committee and an army of local residents and volunteers from local schools and businesses making it all happen on the day.
The Fair has grown since the inaugural event in the 1970’s – but the objective of the Fair remains exactly the same – to provide a fun day out for everyone in the community.
Along the way the Fair has been able to raise a wonderful amount of money to support good causes. Every year half of the profits from the Fair are split between four local schools and the other half of the profits supports local charities. In addition, the Fair gives an annual donation to Radio West Middlesex and organises an Annual Christmas Dinner for local senior citizens at the Turks Head pub. Local charities interested in applying for funding from this year’s St Margarets Fair should contact email@example.com for more information.
The Fair 2015
The 2015 Fair again promises to be an incredible day of fun and excitement for our wonderful community. There is a full programme of entertainment throughout the day:
- The Dog Show -2015 sees the 10th anniversary of this hugely popular part of the Fair programme, so expect an extra special day for the St Margarets pooches!
- Music Stage – a full musical line-up including The St Margarets Elastic Band, Anelisa Lamola, GrooveManoova, The Alex Dew Band and more
- Tennis taster sessions from Will to Win
- Five-a-Side football tournament
- Silent auction
- Bouncy castles
- Traditional fair rides and attractions
- Craft stalls featuring furniture, jewellery and handmade goods
- Food stalls, candy floss, ice cream
- The Fair BBQ, Beer Tent, Gloria’s Tea Tent and Pimms Stall
- and much, much more …
We look forward to seeing you there!