With all the Christmas and New Year’s parties fast approaching, you may be starting to panic about how you’re going to look your best in your Little Black Dress. Some of you may be hitting the gym every day, others eagerly counting calories in a bid to look fabulous this festive season.
But does LBD success have to be all hunger, sweat and tears?
Personal Trainer Matt Roots thinks not…
This time of year clients usually come to me with one goal in mind. Getting into their little black party dress. Most wrongly assume it means weeks of torture in the gym and going hungry to lose a few extra pounds. But it really doesn’t have to be this way.
Sure, it is going to involve some degree of effort. But all you really need to do is eat and train more smartly.
Follow these top tips and you may just find yourself having to buy a new LBD for all the right reasons this year!
Top Tips for Eating Smart:
- Cut out ALL processed foods - That’s bread, cake, pasta and biscuits, etc. You don’t need these foods in your diet, they will only hold you back
- Drink plenty of water. Hydration is essential for general health, but especially when losing weight. Drinking a glass of water before a meal will make you feel fuller quicker, reducing the chances of over eating. It also helps to flush out toxins, which are stored within body fat
- Fill up on lots of quality fresh vegetables and salads. Whilst being low in calories, veggies are packed with nutrients to keep your body ticking over properly. These nutrients are also essential for keeping your skin looking young and healthy. Load your plate at every opportunity
- Don’t drink alcohol unnecessarily. I know this is a toughie at this time of year, but if you really want to lose weight, knock mid-week boozing on the head. Save your drinking strictly for parties. When you do drink opt for red wine, champagne or a spirit with a diet mixer
Top Tips For Training Smart:
If possible use a personal trainer. I’m not just saying that from a trainer’s perspective. Working with a trainer is by far the safest, quickest way to achieve your goals. A good trainer can help you with nutrition, mind set and exercise technique, whilst keeping you accountable for sticking to your eating plan and going to the gym
Train with weights. Contrary to popular belief weights training does not ‘bulk’ you up, biscuits do! Weights training IS the most effective training method for losing weight and toning up. Try this little workout to target all those problem areas in one hit!
- Squats 30 seconds
- REST 10 Seconds
- Keeling Press Ups 30 seconds
- REST 10 seconds
- Alternating lunges 30 seconds
- REST 10 seconds
- Plank 30 seconds
Repeat 5 times with minimal rest.
Do HIIT or High Intensity Interval Training as it’s otherwise known. Steady rate cardio such as jogging is one of the least effective and most time-consuming ways to exercise. Keep your workouts short, sharp and sweet by doing interval-based exercises which focus on all your trouble areas, such as the legs, arms and tummy. This will burn the most amount of calories in the shortest amount of time. The best exercises are…
- Star Jumps
- Press Ups
- Mountain Climber
Don’t ‘over train’. You only need to work out for up to one hour maximum at a time, Over training leads to increased stress levels, a lower immune system and body fat retention
For more information on how you could safely lose 7lbs in 14 days, why not take part in my FREE Black Dress Challenge? Head over to www.blackdresschallenge.com for further details and claim your free rapid results program.
– from Matt Roots, a local Health Coach, over at The Movement3 Studio