On June 19 1944, just less than two weeks after D-Day, a V1 ‘doodlebug’ flying bomb landed on Twickenham Embankment at the bottom of Water Lane. It destroyed Gotham Villas, killing six people. A further 4 people on the Embankment were also killed.
To commemorate this and D-Day, a dance will be held at Richmond Yacht club on Friday 8th June. Proceeds from the dance will go towards The Embankment Memorial Fund -a fund established to build a memorial to the event and those who died.
A cold buffet will be served and there will be a good selection of drinks at the bar.
The dress code is 1940’s (preferably) or smart casual. There will be interesting prizes for the lady and gentleman wearing the best 1940’s outfits so come dressed to impress!
There will be also be a raffle with prizes of essential but hard-to-get 1940’s items. (As these are to be prizes it will not be necessary to bring your ration card.)
There will be 1940’s music to dance to and a live performance from our well-known local 1950’s band, Nark Drool and the Shudders.
The event is being organised by REIC – Richmond Environmental Information Centre, a registered charity. Visit us at reic.uk.com
There is a limit of 70 tickets so hurry to get yours!
- Friday June 08 2012 7.30pm to 11.30pm
- Richmond Yacht Club, Eel Pie Island, Twickenham. (Cross the bridge from The Embankment, Twickenham, to Eel Pie Island and follow the path towards the boatyard. The route will be signposted.)
- Ticket price:£16.00
- Tickets are available from Crusader Travel, 57 Church Street, Twickenham TW1 3NR.
- Tel: 020 8744 0574
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- If you need any further information contact: email@example.com